Saturday, June 28, 2008

Harlow, Ronnie Scotts and Egg Banjos

Well what a week! After the BBC Radio 4 show Loose Ends show we were off to Harlow for the Mid Summer Festival on Sunday 22nd June - we filmed some of the festival and it was lovely singing in the sun! The audience were fabulous and I met up with friends from Dundee after the show.

Monday 23rd June - Ronnie Scotts

We travelled into London earlyish and checked into the hotel. Martin and I had a radio session which was really fun and very enjoyable. We had some very good friends coming down from Scotland to the Ronnies show, one very special friend flew down in his private plane to be there! As well as having a long list of press guests and two record company executives from Sony Japan, Ronnies was pretty much full!! We played 2 one hour sets which I think was quite unusual for a week day show - the audience were a real listening audience and there was absolutely no chat while we were playing! The show went really well and we chilled out with our friends after the show. A fabulous young guitarist called Marcus Bonfanti came along too with his partner Lizzie and I was really thrilled to see them.

Tuesday 24th June - Rays Jazz In-store & Ronnie Scotts

Martin and I had an in store at Rays Jazz which was bursting with people before heading back to the hotel to get ready for the show. Not sure what dress to wear - but went for a black and white 50's style number! Short but kinda cute! The show went extremely well - and again we had a load of press people there as well as the execs from Sony Japan. Ready to eat something - we all headed over to Little Italy for something to eat with the Sony Japan executives. I took my Haverhill Lamp with we - just as well as the lights were so low that none of us could read the menu.

Wednesday 25th June - travel home - can't wait to see the cat!

With a couple of days to get back to base and I had a radio interview with Alan Steadman at Radio Tay. Alan is wonderful - I can remember doing my very first radio session with him many moons ago. We had a great chat on and off air. I mentioned that I had just been in Broughty Ferry with my girlfriends including my old singing pals - The Penny Dainties! They were all off to see Sex and the City but I couldn't go with them as I had my interview with Alan scheduled in. I might just go to the Flicks on Sunday.....

My mum came to Radio Tay with me and I was quite excited for her as she had never been in a radio studio before. So there she was sitting beside me while I was chatting on air. I just saw her face beaming. Alan played 3 tracks I think - He's A Tramp, I'm Confessin' and If It's Magic. He has been such a great supporter over the years and he runs a fabulous jazz venue in Arbroath at Hospitalfield - I haven't played there yet but would love to.

So I was really looking forward to Saturday - a whole day off and a well anticipated visit to Visocci's cafe in Kirriemuir for Egg Banjos - ie fried egg rolls. If you are curious as to why they are called Egg Banjos - you can ask me if you are really interested and I'll let you in on the secret - hee hee! Visocci's in Kirrie is the best! There is nothing like it!

No comments: